Second Service: Nadal could become the GOAT as Federer eyes summer
On Second Service today, we look at thoughts from former champions on Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams; Roger Federer speaks on his aims for the rest of the season; and Ashleigh Barty awaits the Olympics.
Chris Evert believes that, if Nadal were to secure a record-extending 14th French Open title and 21st Grand Slam overall, the Spaniard would be considered ahead of Federer in the discussion about who is the ‘greatest of all time’.
Evert further spoke about Serena Williams and her hunt for tennis history, declaring that “The next four months could define Serena Williams to an even higher level.”
Another champion of the sport, Marion Bartoli, spoke further on Djokovic in particular and her thoughts about his mindset heading into the French Open and possibly facing Nadal.
“I think [Rome] was a big signal for him just to see that he has the level and if he goes to a five-setter he is right there with Rafa on clay,” the 2013 Wimbledon champion said of Djokovic.
The Serb’s coach, Goran Ivanisevic, praised his charge and described what sets Djokovic apart from the rest of the field.
“Everything separates him (from the rest),” Ivanisevic told Sport Klub in an interview.
Djokovic was also in action defeating Mats Moraing in Belgrade 6-2, 7-6 (7-4).
“Credit to him for fighting, for playing really well, for playing very courageous, very bold tennis,” Djokovic said in his on-court interview
On more news from the horse’s mouth, Roger Federer insists he still believes he can achieve the highest heights in tennis before he retires.
Speaking on Federer, Nadal and Djokovic altogether, Patrick Mouratoglou believes they are still beyond the next generation of talent.
“For the moment, we can’t say that the Next Gen are taking over. They’re getting closer and closer, that’s for sure,” Serena Williams’ coach admitted when speaking with Sky Sports.
Finally, Ashleigh Barty expressed her excitement as the Tokyo Olympics draw closer and closer, where the Australian will make her Olympic debut.
“I think the Olympics is the pinnacle of every sport,” the world No. 1 told the Olympics.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner