‘He played very courageous, bold tennis’ – Novak Djokovic survives early Belgrade 2 test
Novak Djokovic overcame a tough second set challenge from Mats Moraing to win his opening match at the Belgrade 2 event in straight sets.
The Serbian defeated the German – a 253rd-ranked lucky loser – 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) in the second round of the ATP 250 tournament.
The world No. 1 broke twice to take the opening set comfortably, before edging the second set on a tiebreak after twice losing a break advantage.
“It was a very good start. I started 6-2 against a player I’ve never faced before. He was going for some shots today that were amazing,” Djokovic said in his on-court interview.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 25, 2021
“I was twice a break up in the second set so I maybe could have finished out the job earlier, but credit to him for fighting, for playing really well, for playing very courageous, very bold tennis.”
The 34-year-old will next face world No. 96 Federico Coria in the quarter-finals.
The 29-year-old Argentine – younger brother of former world No. 3 Guillermo Coria – beat Pablo Cuevas in the second round.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner