‘I’m struggling for motivation too,’ Alexander Zverev voices support for Dominic Thiem
Alexander Zverev has expressed his empathy for the difficulties that Dominic Thiem is currently facing with injury and motivation.
After advancing to the BMW Open quarter-finals in Munich, Alexander Zverev spoke about how he and others are finding it difficult to cope with the impact Covid has had on tour conditions and player enthusiasm.
“We have been in a bubble for nine months,” Zverev said following his match. “In Rotterdam I was freaking out. We only stay at the hotel and on court. There is no fresh air to breath. We have no contact with the outside world.”
At most contemporary tournaments, players must quarantine in hotels for the duration of competition, only leaving for practice sessions and match play.
Alexander Zverev has been one of the most vocal players surrounding the Covid-affected tour, speaking to concerns about player welfare, pandemic restrictions and guidelines, even the readjusted ATP ranking system.
“I understand Dominic Thiem. I have been struggling with motivation too.”
Alexander Zverev faces Belarusian Ilya Ivashka in the quarter-finals of the BMW Open.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner