‘Vaccinated players may be quarantine exempt,’ ATP to announce new protocols incentivising tennis players to get COVID jab
The ATP is set to release updated protocols in order to encourage tennis players to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
In the past couple of weeks, a number of players on both the WTA and ATP tennis tours have voiced their reservations about taking a COVID vaccine.
They include Elina Svitolina, Aryna Sabalenka, Andrey Rublev and Diego Schwartzman, though the Argentine later clarified his statement saying he would get a vaccine when his turn came. Simona Halep release photos piblicly of her receiving her first does of the vaccine back in February.
— ᵣₐdᵤ 🇮🇹🇷🇺▪︎🇷🇴 (@iamr4du) February 24, 2021
Following statements from both tours urging players to get vaccinated when the opportunity presents itself, the ATP is set to implement perks for inoculated players to push others to get the vaccine.
“Persons who have fully completed the Covid vaccination process may be exempt from quarantine after their initial PCR test on arrival to the tournament,” reads the protocol.
“Persons who have completed both doses of two dose vaccines (i.e. Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca) or a single dose (Johnson and Johnson) and have submitted proof to ATP for entry into the ATP Testing Exemption List would be eligible.”
Monte Carlo seems likely to be the first tournament held under the new rules, but that is not official. The WTA is expected to follow suit with the ATP sooner rather than later.
Read about what vaccine-skeptical players have been saying here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner