Alexander Zverev makes Davis Cup U-turn for return from Acapulco anger
Alexander Zverev will compete in the Davis Cup for the first time in over three years this week as he looks to put his Acapulco default behind him.
The world number three announced that he will join his German teammates in Rio de Janeiro on 4th and 5th March, this Friday and Saturday, as the nation takes on Brazil in its Davis Cup qualifier.
The news comes less than a week after Zverev was ejected from the Mexican Open after smashing his racket on the umpire’s chair following a loss in the doubles.
Germany’s Davis Cup captain Michael Kohlmann said: “We are happy that Alexander [Zverev] will be involved.
“His behaviour in Acapulco was without question unacceptable and wrong.
“Alexander himself recognised that and apologised for it.
“We now want to help him as a team to get through this difficult phase.”
Soon after the expulsion from Acapulco, Zverev put out a statement of apology on social media, including that he was “only disappointed in himself” for his actions.
The 24-year-old’s decision to play in Brazil is unusual, as he has previously heavily criticised the current format of the Davis Cup and has not participated since a qualifier against Hungary in February 2019.
“The format has to be changed and I’m sticking to that,’ Zverev said in a press conference at last year’s Vienna Open.
“I am someone who keeps his word.
“I want to win the Davis Cup, but I want to win the real Davis Cup,” he added.
With Zverev’s addition to the German team for Brazil, world number 81 Daniel Altmaier drops out.
🎾 Free >> Receive our legendary newsletter
🎾 Join >> Tennishead CLUB, the world’s only virtual tennis club
🎾 Social >>Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
🎾 Order >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted retail partner