Thiem to ‘return stronger as a player’ claims expert after French Open exit
A respected tennis analyst gave his explanation for the continued struggles of Thiem after the world No. 4 lost in the French Open first round.
Greg Rusedski understands the difficulties facing US Open champion Dominic Thiem after the Austrian suffered his earliest French Open exit ever at the hands of Pablo Andujar.
“With all the effort needed to win his first major, Thiem has not managed to get his form back yet,” Rusedski tweeted following the result.
“For most players, it takes at least a year to adjust after winning their first major. He will be back stronger as a player.”
With all the effort needed to win his 1st major @ThiemDomi has not managed to get his form back yet. For most players it takes at least a year to adjust after winning their first major. He will be back stronger as a player. Well done too @AndujarPablo for another great win.
— Greg Rusedski (@GregRusedski1) May 30, 2021
Dominic Thiem has a less than stellar 9-8 win-loss record for 2021, including 4-3 on clay. Having twice reached the French Open final in 2018 and 2019, this first round loss will no doubt be a massive shock to the system for Thiem.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner