‘They’re a huge inspiration for me,’ says Coco Gauff on Venus and Serena Williams
Youngster Coco Gauff has spoken about how influential Venus and Serena Williams have been for her personally, for tennis and for equality, on and off the court.
The 17-year-old American announced herself to the world in defeating Venus Williams in the first round of Wimbledon 2019 as a 15-year-old, beating her again at the 2020 Australian Open. Gauff is yet to face Serena Williams in a match.
‘What drew me to them was how they play,’ Gauff said of the Williams sisters in a press conference recently.
‘And just seeing someone coming from where they came from make it big on tour is definitely inspiring for my dad to get me to start playing,’ she added.
‘I kind of modelled parts of my game after both of them.’
Gauff has drawn comparisons to both Venus and Serena Williams ever since she burst onto the tour.
‘And definitely the off-court, what they’ve done for the game and fighting for equality and all that is super inspiring.
‘And that’s also why I always look up to them.’
Coco Gauff plays Tsvetana Pironkova in the Charleston Open as her next match on the WTA tour.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner