Stefanos Tsitsipas coach slams ‘criminal’ treatment at Tokyo Olympics
The fitness coach to Tsitsipas has complained of a horrible overall experience during the Olympics tennis for himself and the Greek team.
Christos Fiotakis has spoken angrily about the circumstances endured by himself and others surrounding the tennis events and their organisation.
To begin with, the accommodation situation was thoroughly underwhelming according to Fiotakis.
“We stayed three people on a 20 square metre flat bed,” he described. “We did not even have TV to watch the Games!
“While the USA and UK and a couple other countries had PlayStations and huge apartments with big windows, private gyms, watt bikes and coffee shop lounges.”
Fiotakis further explained that the language barrier between athlete staff and organisational staff became a real problem.
“90% of the organisation personnel did not speak English. So it was such a mess to get things sorted.
“Laundry was a mess; losing clothes and spending hours in line to sort things out.”
Worst of all for Fiotakis, his experience was further marred by problems with Covid restrictions and self-isolation.
“The day when Tsitsipas played the third round against Humbert (27th July), at two in the morning they contacted me that I was in close contact on my flight from Frankfurt on 19th July.
“There were members from Italy and Germany, plus many more athletes, on the same flight.
“I was asked to isolate myself, despite already being in Japan for nine days and having nine negative tests. I had to do a PCR test so I could go and see Tsitsipas play and I was told to warm [him] up via video call.
“The PCR took ages but came back negative, finally at 1pm I was told that I was okay to go to the stadium, but by car with an escort and not by bus.
“So I was not going to coach Stefanos and follow the routine and talk to him before the match.
“I arrived at 2pm, an hour after the start of the match, and I was accompanied by six health workers like a criminal sitting alone under the hot sun.
“In addition, I had not eaten because I was in quarantine from 7am. So they did not let me have any contact with the rest of the team.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner