‘Sometimes I lose my mind,’ Musetti moves on in Lyon through tense finish
Lorenzo Musetti made it through his Lyon quarter-finals in straight sets despite some nerves in the second.
Lorenzo Musetti overcame Aljaz Bedene 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) in just over an hour and a half to book his place in the semi-finals of Lyon.
“Yeah, it was a crazy end,” Musetti admitted in his on-court interview. “It was 6-5 on my serve and at 30-all I hit a really bad volley. Sometimes, I don’t know, I go out of my mind.
“But I’m really proud of myself. I was 5-2 down in the second set, but I stayed focused and tried to play each point at my best. So, yeah, I’m really happy.”
While Bedene was strong on his first serve, winning 84% of points (26 of 31) behind it, Musetti capitalised when facing the Slovenian’s second serve, winning 64% of points (23 of 36) when facing it.
F O R Z A 🙌
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 21, 2021
Musetti’s next match will be his second semi-final of 2021, after reaching the last four at the ATP 500 event in Acapulco.
He could face the same opponent as in Acapulco also, as Stefanos Tsitsipas faces Yoshihito Nishioka for a chance to battle Musetti.
“Stefanos [Tsitsipas] is a big champ, and Nishioka is a great player, lefty guy, so he can Stefanos in trouble, so let’s see who’s gonna be the winner,” said Musetti as he finished the interview.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner