‘Shut up, Mats Wilander!’ – Nick Kyrgios goes on the attack again, this time in defence of Andy Murray
Nick Kyrgios has launched a typically colourful defence of Andy Murray on social media, telling Mats Wilander to ‘shut up’.
Wilander was especially critical of Murray after his lacklustre French Open exit against Stan Wawrinka, questioning whether the former world number one should be retiring.
“Just read what Wilander said about Andy Murray,” Kyrgios tweeted.
“Shut up Mats, no one cares. Muzz, just know that how ever long you stay, we all appreciate and enjoy your tennis and banter. Also I’ve never watched a point of Mats Wilander.”
Wilander has certainly cause d a stir with his comments on Eurosport, saying: “I worry about Andy Murray.
“I would love to hear him say why he is out there, giving us a false sense of hope that he’s going to come back one day.
“I keep getting a little bit disappointed, is it his right to be out there doing that? Why? I did it and I shouldn’t have, it was the biggest mistake I did in my career.
“I think Andy Murray needs to stop thinking of himself and start thinking about who he was.
“Does he have a right to be out there taking wildcards from the young players?”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner