‘Sharing Centre Court with Federer was amazing’ Serb star on fulfilling a childhood dream
Dusan Lajovic has reflected on playing on Centre Court at Wimbledon against Roger Federer, and what it means to him as a player.
Dusan Lajovic faced off against Roger Federer at Wimbledon 2018 in the first round, losing to the Swiss in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, 6-4.
“Well, definitely playing Roger [Federer] in Centre Court,” the Serb said of his fondest Wimbledon memory in a Monte Carlo tournament press conference. “Because he’s got an incredible record there,” Lajovic added.
“Just to step on the court and share the court with him, it was one of the nicest things I had from that tournament.
“Also the whole environment and the whole atmosphere in the centre court where it’s really quiet once you step on it and start playing. It’s really a different feeling that we have normally.”
Wimbledon will take place for the first time since 2019 starting 28th June. With Lajovic currently ranked world No. 31, he is on course to compete at the 2021 edition provided he is fit. The Serb may even be seeded if he can maintain or improve his ranking.
“Obviously every tournament has its own tradition and everything, but for example, Wimbledon is one of my favourite tournaments, even though I didn’t have much success on grass,” Lajovic continued.
“One of my earliest books that I got was Wimbledon 1991. I think Stich won that year. When I was a kid, I was reading about this and watching the photos in the book.
“It definitely made a good impression when I stepped on that Centre Court. It’s good to relive your childhood dreams.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner