Second Service: Djokovic equals Federer; Medvedev rues Olympic defeat
On Second Service today, Novak Djokovic equals Roger Federer’s Olympic record and Daniil Medvedev rues his quarter-final defeat to Pablo Carreno Busta.
Firstly, Djokovic defeated home favourite Nishikori 6-2, 6-0 in the quarter-finals of the men’s singles event, which saw him tie the men’s singles record of 13 Olympic match wins held by his great rival Federer.
“Kei, I know his game very well. Him playing in Japan, this court where he had lots of success, I knew that he’s going to play very quick,” the 34-year-old said in a post-match interview.
“And he’s not gonna give me a lot of time, so I had to be very alert. And I feel I had an answer for everything he had.”
World number two Daniil Medvedev was defeated by Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta in the quarter-finals, insisted that he let himself down in the encounter.
Again, the Russian struggled in the heat, leaving the court to change clothes after losing the opening set. Despite giving everything to stage a comeback, he fell 6-2 7-6 to the Spaniard in one hour and 43 minutes.
“It was not easy to play and I’m really disappointed with myself and for my country to lose in the quarters,” said the Russian.
“I changed everything I had (clothes). I wanted to change my skin because I was sweating like I never did before. It was terrible.”
Swiss star Belinda Bencic said she does not ‘want this dream to stop now’ after reaching the finals of the women’s singles and doubles events at the Tokyo Olympics.
Bencic battled past Elena Rybakina 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3 in the last four of the women’s singles before teaming up with Viktorija Golubic to defeat Laura Pigossi and Luisa Stefani of Brazil 7-5, 6-3.
“This is for sure the best day [of my career], of course. This is the biggest result I have reached so far – and the biggest result in doubles. To do it both in the same day, it’s for sure the best result,” said the 24-year-old in a post-match interview.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner