‘The best day of my career’ – Belinda Bencic closes in on Olympic double
Belinda Bencic said she does not “want this dream to stop now” after reaching the finals of the women’s singles and doubles events at the Tokyo Olympics.
The Swiss has guaranteed herself at least two silver medals after making it to the gold medal matches.
Bencic first battled past Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-3 in the last four of the women’s singles tournament.
The world number 12 then teamed up with countrywoman Viktorija Golubic to defeat Laura Pigossi and Luisa Stefani of Brazil 7-5, 6-3 in the women’s doubles semi-finals.
“This is for sure the best day [of my career], of course. This is the biggest result I have reached so far – and the biggest result in doubles. To do it both in the same day, it’s for sure the best result,” said the 24-year-old in a post-match interview.
— #TeamBelinda (@FanOfBencic) July 29, 2021
“I don’t really want this dream to stop – we were talking about maybe we wake up tomorrow and none of this happened and we’re going to be sad! But it’s reality. We’re super happy.
“Right now I think it’s the emotions that get me through, it’s the positivity. It’s really this high. Now is definitely not the time to stop. I’m not going to jinx it – we go, we go. It’s not done yet. We still will have some energy for the finals.
“My emotions right now, it’s too high. To have a medal, it’s the greatest thing. Even to be here as an athlete, in the Olympics, it’s amazing. To have a medal, it’s something I dreamed of, and I didn’t think it would become reality. I’m beyond relieved and happy.”
Bencic will compete against Czech Republic’s Marketa Vondrousova for the singles gold on Saturday, before she and Golubic will face Czech pair Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova on Sunday.
Photo credit: Kopatsch/Sato/Sidorjak
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner