Rafael Nadal says it’s ‘really difficult to maintain intensity’ without fans at tournaments
Rafael Nadal says he finds it tough to maintain his ‘intensity’ without fans attended tournaments.
Nadal has played fewer tournaments than most since the coronavirus pandemic largely took spectators out of the stands at tennis events.
Now we are into the Spaniard’s beloved clay season, though, empty stadiums is something he cannot really avoid, and he says he has been really conscious of the lack of fans at Monte Carlo.
“It’s really difficult to keep the same intensity without the public,” Nadal said after his 6-1, 6-2 win over Federico Delbonis on Wednesday.
“The audience helps you keep staying full. In fact, you constantly want to show them that you are in good shape.
“The energy is different, especially in situations like today where I had the game more or less under control.
“[When] I will have a very difficult opponent, I will have to be 100% all the time.
“Personally, I miss the audience. I don’t want to lie to you about that. I like playing in front of a good crowd much better than without.”
Rafael Nadal, meanwhile, has also come out in strong support of vaccinations, saying it is the ‘only way’ for the world to rid itself of COVID’s grip on the world.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner