Rafael Nadal opens up on water-bottle obsession, saying: ‘If they aren’t right, I can’t concentrate on the game’
Rafael Nadal has explained why he is so obsessive about the placement of his water-bottles during matches.
Nadal’s various quirks and routines are almost as much of a legend as his remarkable achievements in the sport, but they often remain a curiosity for tennis fans.
The world number two has a specific serving routine, as well as refusing to cross the tramlines before receiving his towels from the ball-kids at the net between games.
The placing of his water-bottles is a particularly noticeable quirk though, and he Nadal was recently asked about it by the press.
“If I didn’t fit the bottles, it would mean that in breaks I could think of something other than a game.
“This way, I make them the same each time so I can concentrate solely on the game and what lies ahead.”
Is his meticulous routine the secret behind Nadal’s longevity and success, though?
Absolutely not, he says. Nadal says that there actually isn’t a secret at all.
“There is no secret,” he added in the same interview.
“It’s about passion, about loving the game about thinking positively in difficult moments.
“The truth is, I have been through difficult career situations, but I managed to overcome them.
“Many have said that with my style of play I will not be here for long, but here I am.
“I’m happy about that. Although it’s surprising to me, too. ”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner