Rafael Nadal comparisons dismissed by Carlos Alcaraz – ‘I try not to think about that’
The Next Gen star is often considered in parallel with a young Rafael Nadal, but Carlos Alcaraz tries to brush off such opinions.
The 18-year-old is stirring up the tennis world once more after claiming his first ATP tour title, downing Richard Gasquet in the final of the Croatia Open in Umag.
Nadal achieved the same feat of a first title when he was just eight days younger than Alcaraz was in Umag, winning in Sopot in 2004. But the teenage sensation insists he tends not to focus on such similarities.
“I try not to think about that (comparisons with Rafael Nadal),” Alcaraz following his title win.
“I say always the same – I’m focused on my [path]. I’m still learning, still growing up, still being friendly with everyone and am still focused on my [path].”
The Spaniard further suggested that he idolised all of the so-called ‘Big Three of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic when he was younger.
“I grew up watching them winning tournaments, winning Grand Slams and I think they’re three of the best in history,” Alcaraz added.
“For me, it’s amazing to play against them on the same circuit. I’m a lucky guy to learn from them.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner