Olympics tennis hopeful relishing ‘honour’ of representing country
A potential medal contender in the Olympics tennis event is hugely proud to compete for their nation at the Tokyo Games.
World number 12 Hubert Hurkacz is ready and raring to go in his bid to win a medal for Poland at the Olympics tennis.
The 24-year-old will be seeded seventh in the men’s singles in Tokyo, and he appears confident that he can deliver.
“I always dreamed to play in the Olympics,” Hurkacz told the ITF. “I always wanted to go there. The atmosphere, being with other players, fighting for medals.
“It’s an honour [to represent Poland]. I mean, it’s something special to represent your country in an Olympic Games so that will mean a lot to me and I’ll try my best to be as good as I can.”
The Pole has had an impressive season thus far, winning the Miami Masters and reaching the semi-finals at Wimbledon.
“[Winning a medal] would be something special,” Hurkacz added. “Coming into the Olympics you wanna go there to get a medal. So getting a medal is a huge achievement, a dream come true.
“When I was younger I always believed in myself and that one day I can achieve [reaching the Olympics] and dreaming about it. And then actually doing it, it feels great to be able to go there and compete.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner