Novak Djokovic after defeating Jannik Sinner: ‘He’s proven that he’s the future of our sport’
Novak Djokovic has won his first tour match since winning the Australian Open 7 weeks ago by defeating rising star Jannik Sinner.
Novak Djokovic did not show signs of rust in his victory over Jannik Sinner, winning 6-4, 6-2 in just over 90 minutes.
“It feels great,” Djokovic said in his post-match interview. “Also playing here, in Monaco, where I reside. I’ve [also]used this club as a training base actually for almost 15 years so it feels like playing at home.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 14, 2021
The young Italian looked to provide a tricky first match back on court against Djokovic, with the 19-year-old having made the recent Miami Masters final.
“It was a very good encounter, I thought it was a great first match [back], a big challenge for me,” Djokovic added. “Jannik is in form, he played in the Miami final, he’s been playing well.
“I just kind of hung in there today and managed to find the right shots and the right game at the right time.
“[Sinner] is an all-round player, he hits the ball in the sweet spot more or less on any surface really. He’s got a lot of talent and he has proven that he is the future of our sport, actually already the present of our sport,” the Serb said, chuckling.
“Already making Masters finals, he’s making big strides in professional tennis.”
Djokovic will play in the third round against the winner of the second round match between Dan Evans and Hubert Hurkacz.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner