Jannik Sinner cites doubles as ‘confidence booster’ in return to form
Jannik Sinner has revealed a somewhat old-school factor in his impressive run of results during the US hard court swing so far.
The Italian 19-year-old is into his fourth career ATP final in Washington DC after overcoming fellow youngster Jenson Brooksby 7-6, 6-1 to face another American, Mackenzie McDonald, for the title.
After poor showings during the grass season and an early exit in Atlanta, Sinner believes that playing doubles has definitely helped get him back on track.
“[Doubles] helps me for sure,” Sinner affirmed after making the final in Washington DC.
“You know, I’ve been out of competition quite long. [At Wimbledon and Atlanta] I’ve had only two matches.”
Sinner teamed up with Reilly Opelka in Atlanta to win a first ATP doubles title of his career, and reached the semi-finals in Washington with Sebastian Korda before falling to second seeds Michael Venus and Neal Skupski.
“Also doubles helps me trying to get the confidence back,” Sinner continued. “Trying to win matches also. Obviously it’s a lot of fun playing with Sebastian [Korda] as well. He’s a very young player and yeah, trying to win.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner