‘It’s amazing to do something that Andy did,’ Andrey Rublev matches Murray win streak
Andrey Rublev has won in the second round of Dubai to make it to the Round of 16 and stretch his impressive win streak at ATP 500 level, matching Andy Murray in the process.
Rublev won again at ATP 500 level by overcoming Finn Emil Ruusuvuori 6-4 6-4 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
“I think [today] I played my best match here [ever in Dubai],’ Andrey Rublev said after the match.
“[Ruusuvuori] is a young guy who has huge talent. I’m happy I’m able to win one more match here in Dubai.”
Andrey Rublev has won 21 times in a row at this level, equalling the second-best streak by Andy Murray. Rublev now only trails Roger Federer’s record of 28 wins in a row.
“It’s amazing to do something that Andy did, and we’ll see what’s going to happen next,” Rublev added. “I need to focus on my game, on the things that I need to improve.
“I cannot control if I’m going to win the next match or not, but I can give my best and see.
Rublev has won four consecutive ATP 500 titles at Hamburg, St Petersburg and Vienna in 2020, plus Rotterdam in 2021. The Russian has not lost at an ATP 500 tournament since Dubai last year.
He will play either Taylor Fritz or Doha champion Nikoloz Basilashvili in the next round.
Read more about Rublev’s thoughts on Dubai here.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner