‘I wanted Novak Djokovic to lose the Australian Open final,’ admits Rafael Nadal
Rafael Nadal has admitted he wanted Novak Djokovic to lose the Australian Open final to Dominic Theim.
Djokovic took the world number one spot from Nadal by winning the tournament, as well as closing to within just two of Nadal’s Grand Slam title tally of 19.
And, speaking to Marca following the opening of his new academy in Kuwait, Nadal was honest enough to admit he was rooting for Dominic Theim in the final.
“Obviously, yes [I would have preferred Thiem to win],” Nadal said when asked if he was hoping Djokovic lost. “I’m not a hypocrite, right?
“It would have been better for me personally if Thiem won.
“But, to be honest, I slept exactly as well the last two days. In that regard it doesn’t matter if Dominic had won or if Novak (Djokovic) won. It is part of our sport.
“This tournament is particularly good for Novak. And right now he is, today, the best player in the world.
This is what the numbers say.
“And the only thing that can be done is to congratulate him on another great success.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner