‘I have a special connection with Rafael Nadal,’ says Roger Federer ahead of blockbuster exhibition
Roger Federer says his ‘special connection’ with Rafael Nadal is what has brought him to South Africa for their blockbuster exhibition match.
The pair will face off in Cape Town in the Match in Africa event, which raises funds for the Roger Federer Foundation.
It is expected to break the attendance record for a tennis event, with over 50,000 spectators expected at Cape Town Stadium.
And Federer insists that only his greatest rival Nadal could make it special, and he believes he is the only person who could have got the Spaniard to do it.
“For me, when I realised something very special could happen, it was only Rafa who could make this event truly special for the people here.
“I have the connection to Rafa. If somebody could maybe bring him down to South Africa, it is me.
“I asked him and he said yes right away.
“We have been fighting over a date for the last two years so I finally got one out of him.
“He wanted to do it earlier. We were both ready, but there was just too much going on with our schedules.
“I couldn’t be more excited to see Rafa arriving.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner