‘He’s a legend’ – Andrey Rublev ready for Andy Murray clash
Andrey Rublev has responded in kind to the complimentary words of Andy Murray ahead of their second-round match in Rotterdam.
Rublev said on-court after his first-round win that he did not realise he would face Murray next. ‘It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be an interesting match,’ he said. ‘Andy is a true legend and I have a really good connection with him,” the Russian went on to say.
The two have only met once previously, at the Australian Open in 2017, when Andy Murray was the World No. 1 and Rublev was a 19-year-old qualifier. Rublev only took 5 games from that encounter, but has since reached four Grand Slam quarter-finals and made his debut in the Nitto ATP Finals in 2020.
‘He destroyed me once in the past,’ said Rublev of their 2017 meeting. ‘I’m sure we’ll have great, long rallies and it will be a fight.’
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner