‘He is very inspirational for me and many other tennis players’ – Novak Djokovic pays tribute to Roger Federer’s longevity and return
Novak Djokovic has leveled praise towards Roger Federer ahead of his return to the ATP Tour at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha this week.
Novak Djokovic took Roger Federer’s record of 310 weeks at World No. 1 today, but has been quick to praise his friend and rival on his return to the sport.
‘What Roger is doing still at his age is something that is very inspirational for me and many other tennis players,’ Djokovic said. ‘It’s great to see him back.’ said Djokovic.
‘When I started in the men’s professional tennis world 15 years ago, I had two of the highest challenges, which was to overcome Roger and Rafa,’ Djokovic continued with regards to Federer and further Rafael Nadal.
‘They definitely made me the player that I am today,’ he said of the pair. ‘Those rivalries are the ones that were the most impactful on my tennis game and evolution.’
Djokovic has spoken on his rivalries with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal before, acknowledging that they were tough from their early days, particularly with Nadal since the Serb and Spaniard are only a year apart in age.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner