Garbine Muguruza targeting return to the top: ‘I have done it before and want to do it again’
Garbine Muguruza says she has ‘nothing to prove’ and she is confident she can return to the top of the rankings.
The Spanish ace was world number one back in 2017 after winning two Grand Slams in a year.
She has suffered a drop since, though, but won Dubai last week to climb back into the top 15 – her highest position since 2018.
“I’m very motivated,” Garbine Muguruza said. “I’ve been working hard, I have a good team around me.
“I feel it’s a good moment, a good moment in my career, with my age, with my knowledge, the things that I’ve achieved.
“I don’t think I have to prove no more that I can win a Grand Slam, that I can be number one. This is over.
“Now is the time to just forget all those things that when you’re young you’re thinking, when am I going to win a Grand Slam? When am I going to number one or number two? All of those things are gone already.
“Of course I want to be in those positions again but this is not the pressure anymore. I’ve done it and I want to do it again. That’s how I feel right now.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner