Felix Auger-Aliassime ‘looking to stay present’ to continue strong results
Felix Auger-Aliassime is arguably having his best tour season to date in 2021, but is trying to keep his feet firmly on the ground.
As the US hard court swing gets going, the Canadian star will be looking to rack up some big performances before and during the US Open.
Auger-Aliassime is seeded second at the Citi Open in Washington DC, only behind legend Rafael Nadal.
“I think the start of the year I was playing well on the hard courts so I think I’m going to play well now on the hard court swing in the next couple of weeks to gain some confidence and bring some good results,” he said at the event.
Auger-Aliassime started the year by reaching the final of the Murray River Open in Melbourne, followed up by a round of 16 appearance at the Australian Open.
On the subject of pushing for success on-court, the young Canadian gave this level-headed response.
“I try to take it one week at a time. There are so many weeks in the season. I feel like to be consistent you really have to make an effort to stay in the present.
“It’s easy to catch yourself looking at the future and hoping I’m making either Turin [or Milan] Finals for me so I try to stay in the present. We don’t know what the future holds.”
The 20-year-old is currently second in the race to the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan, and is 15th in the race to the ATP Finals in Turin.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner