Feliciano Lopez joins elite ATP company with victory
Veteran ATP pro Feliciano Lopez reached a significant career milestone with his second round win at the Mallorca Championships.
The Spaniard has joined an esteemed list of top players at the mark of 500 career wins on the ATP tour.
“More than the 500 wins, the important thing to me is the chance to keep playing in these kinds of tournaments and to keep being competitive,” Lopez told ATPTour.com.
“I didn’t expect to be able to play at the level I am on the ATP tour at 40 years of age, which I will be in September.”
Lopez achieved his 500th career win by downing Karen Khachanov at the Mallorca Championships to reach the quarter-finals.
He becomes the 54th player to reach 500 wins on the tour, and the 10th active player to do so.
“Recent years have been very good to me,” Lopez expressed. “Playing until this age was unexpected, being able to keep winning matches on tour and, above all, to be enjoying the moment.
“But it is true that winning 500 matches is something not so many players have done.”
Feliciano Lopez is also set to compete in his 19th Wimbledon, making his 77th consecutive Slam main draw appearance, and 78th Slam appearance overall.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner