Emma Raducanu handed twist in her US Open tale
Emma Raducanu has been thrown a curveball at the US Open as her first round opponent shifts due to a withdrawal.
The Wimbledon wonder backed up her All England wildcard again by coming through qualifying without dropping a set to compete in her second Slam event in as many chances.
Raducanu was set to face Australian Open runner-up and home hopeful Jennifer Brady in the first round.
However, the 13th seed has now withdrawn due to injury, meaning the Brit will face Swiss lucky loser Stefanie Vogele in the first round.
A win for Raducanu could open up a nice draw, since she would be taking the place of a seed in the tournament with the absence of Brady.
She joins fellow British women Heather Watson, Katie Boulter and Harriet Dart in the main draw, with Johanna Konta unfortunately also forced to withdraw due to injury.
Despite being the youngest of the quartet at Flushing Meadows, Raducanu will no doubt be backing herself to come through her first round encounter off the back of a confident qualifying display.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner