Emma Raducanu ‘can be a superstar’ declares Mats Wilander
The Grand Slam legend sees plenty to get excited about as Raducanu continues her adventure into the second week of Wimbledon.
The British wildcard, ranked world No. 338, has enjoyed a fairytale debut at her home Slam, defeating each of Vitalia Diatchenko, Marketa Vondrousova and Sorana Cirstea in straight sets to reach the fourth round.
And seven-time Grand Slam champion Mats Wilander does not think the teenager is a flash in the pan.
“Amazing scenes,” the Swede told Eurosport on her third round win.
“She is the real deal, and I am talking about the mindset. An incredible mindset and an incredible mover.
“She played incredibly – she has a great mindset, and just the way she handled it. She had so many break points in that second set – and somehow, like a mature tennis pro who has been on the tour for years – she handled that setback.
“I’m telling you, in Great Britain, you have a star that has been born.”
Emma Raducanu is set to jump over 160 ranking spots to at least world No. 175 after Wimbledon, and would climb higher should she reach the quarter-finals.
“She moves incredibly well and she has real strength,” Wilander continued.
“She has literally everything. She can be a superstar.”
Emma Raducanu takes on Ajla Tomljanovic for a place in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon 2021.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner