Djokovic reveals that ‘failure is never an option’ after Wimbledon victory
Novak Djokovic made it to the second week of a Slam for the 55th time, and will make a 13th appearance in the fourth round of Wimbledon.
The world No. 1 saw off the challenge of American qualifier Denis Kudla in straight sets to reach the Round of 16 and a chance to go on to a 50th Grand Slam quarter-final.
Djokovic displayed his individual drive to win throughout, even on match point when defending superbly to force an error from his challenger.
“I think it’s a trademark of every professional athlete, at least it should be!” Djokovic said in his post-match interview of his unwillingness to give up.
“That’s a given obviously. You know, giving up is never a question. You always try to give your best, your maximum out there, particularly when you’re playing in one of the biggest tennis tournaments in the world.
“I mean, at least for me it is the biggest because I always dreamt of winning Wimbledon when I was a kid.”
Djokovic now has 75 career wins under his belt at Wimbledon as he vies for his sixth title at SW19. He’s also won 17 of the 28 matches necessary to secure the Calendar Year Grand Slam, as the Serb aims to be the first man to achieve the feat since Rod Laver back in 1969.
“The way I’ve grown up, in difficult times for my country in the 90s,” Djokovic said of where his drive to succeed comes from.
“Failure was never an option. For me or anybody from my family. We just had to find a way to survive.
“During those times it was difficult and I think that has strengthened my character I would say.”
The defending Wimbledon champion will next face Chilean Cristian Garin for a place in the quarter-finals.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner