Crowds would ‘make a huge difference’ at Wimbledon claims Andy Murray
Andy Murray believes that having as many fans as possible at Wimbledon this year would bring a great change for the players.
Having crowds of fans attending tennis tournaments is something that many, including Andy Murray, have missed during the pandemic, and the Brit hopse that can shift in time for Wimbledon
“For me, it would make a huge difference (to have a good crowd there),” the two-time Wimbledon champion told PA news agency.
“Hopefully we can get some good crowds in. We’ve heard 30 per cent, but I don’t know if that’s 30 per cent of their usual capacity but they’ll be allowed to have Centre Court and Court One full. So we’ll see.
Unlike the other three Slams in 2020, Wimbledon was cancelled last year and will be staged for the first time since 2019 come June. Andy Murray continued on how his feelings about the lack of spectators at matches has changed in the last year.
“At the beginning I didn’t miss it (crowds) that much, I was just pumped to be competing again,” reflected Murray on his experiences.
“But, as the weeks go on, that’s kind of what you play for, to play in front of big crowds and play in great atmospheres. It’s something that I’ve definitely missed.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner