Coco Gauff ‘very hopeful’ for Paris 2024 Olympics
Teenage superstar Coco Gauff is eyeing the next Olympiad after the disappointment of being forced out of Tokyo this summer.
The 17-year-old tested positive for Covid-19 just prior to the Games, but is excited for the chance to represent Team USA just three years from now in Paris.
Gauff further considers herself lucky to be mostly asymptomatic, bar the loss of her sense of smell, and adds that she will get the vaccine soon, her age and constant travel being factors prohibiting her until this point.
“I’m very hopeful I will have many other opportunities to qualify for the team and hopefully actually get to the Olympics before any unforeseen circumstances happen,” the WTA personality told reporters following an exhibition match in Washington DC.
While missing out on the Tokyo Games will no doubt have been tough, Gauff will still only be 20 years old once Paris 2024 comes around.
The young American is currently enjoying a current ranking of world No. 25, just two of her career high of 23, having started the year at 48 in the world.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner