ATP legend declares “I’m proud of myself” on Hall of Fame induction
A great of the ATP has been been officially recognised by the Tennis Hall of Fame, showing plenty of emotion in his acceptance.
Goran Ivanisevic has been inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, becoming the first Croatian member of the elite sporting group.
“We are a small country with a huge heart,” Ivanisevic said of his national pride in his acceptance speech.
“We never stop believing. I had a lot of ups and downs, and I never stopped believing. For the first time in my life, I can say I am proud of myself.”
This year marks 20 years since the former world number two secured his crowning achievement of a triumphant Wimbledon title at the fourth time of asking.
“It was not easy to be my fan. It was frustrating, it was sad, probably a lot of people got divorced because of me,” Ivanisevic joked. “But one thing is for sure: it was entertaining to be my fan.”
Ivanisevic went on to speak about his different mindsets and personalities on-court, the so-called ‘different Gorans.’
“To the three Gorans, five Gorans, to every Goran in this world, you guys made me proud.
“We did it our different way, we did it our hard way, but we did it our way. But only I am going in. Guys, you can come and visit, but I am going in. I deserve it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner