Andy Murray could be moved to Court One for Wimbledon comeback
Andy Murray is likely to make his return to Wimbledon this year on one of the main show courts after organisers expressed concerns over his safety.
The former world number one missed Wimbledon last year as he battled injury, and is still not deemed ready to return to singles competition.
However, he is competing in the men’s doubles, alongside Pierre-Hugues Herbert, and they look set to take centre stage, despite concerns over the show-courts’ ability to withstand doubles action this early in the tournament.
And that, Wimbledon chief executive Richard Lewis says, is purely down to safety concerns.
“One of the major considerations for Andy, I think first match in particular, is safety,” said Lewis. “That restricts the number of courts he can be on.
“He’s very popular. [It’s for the players] getting them to and from court. Getting them to court two for example, is a long way in the public area.
“Obviously Centre and No 1 are easy. I think once you get beyond Centre and One it’s more problematic.
“After the first match, if the interest dies down a little bit we might be able to have more flexibility where he plays.
— ATP Tour (@ATP_Tour) July 1, 2019
“But it will be probable he will be on one of the show courts.”
Murray and Herbert will play unseeded pair Marius Copil and Ugo Humbert in round one, and may run into Andy’s older brother Jamie Murray in the third round.
Now you can look ahead to Wimbledon with our exclusive, 164 page, ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2019‘
To find out how to get tickets for Wimbledon this year read our 9 point guide here
If you can’t visit the tournament then do the next best thing and read our guide on how to watch Wimbledon on television