Andy Murray and other legends ‘the reason I play’ reveals ATP star
Denis Shapovalov has always respected and admired Andy Murray and pointed to him as one of his inspirations to pursue tennis.
The young Canadian overcame his idol in straight sets in the third round and is more than happy to speak on how the Brit and other greats have shaped him as a player.
“I respect all the legends,” Shapovalov told the BBC. “I think it’s completely normal, it’s how I was raised.
“They are the reason why I’m playing tennis. I’ve watched their matches so often. Especially Andy [Murray].
Andy Murray won his first two matches at Wimbledon 2021 before falling in straight sets to Denis Shapovalov.
By contrast, the 22-year-old Canadian is through to the fourth round of Wimbledon for the first time in his career, and is one step from equalling his best Grand Slam result of the quarter-finals, which he reached at the 2020 US Open.
“I mean, to come through what he’s been through and to come back and play Wimbledon and win his first two rounds, and to be at the level that he is right now, to me it’s truly inspiring.”
Denis Shapovalov comes up against 2019 semi-finalist and eighth seed Roberto Bautista Agut for a place in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon 2021.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner