‘He didn’t give me any rhythm’ Zverev rallies to avoid enormous French Open upset
Alexander Zverev came back from two sets to love down to escape a loss at the hands of compatriot Oscar Otte.
Alexander Zverev outlasted fellow countryman and qualifier Oscar Otte 3-6, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-0 in two hours and 40 minutes to avoid an embarrassing first round defeat.
“It was the first time I played Oscar so I didn’t know what to expect,” Zverev admitted in his post-match interview. “He didn’t give me any rhythm, and to be honest, I feel like to beat a top player at a Grand Slam…that’s exactly how you should play.”
Zverev won over 70% of points behind both his first and second serves for a strong serving performance.
If Otte had won, he would have been the lowest ranked player to beat Zverev in a Grand Slam tournament, having come into the French Open as world No. 152.
“In the end maybe he was a little more tired than me,” Zverev went on to say. “Maybe he’s not used to those kinds of intense matches.”
Otte previously had just a 1-2 record at all Grand Slams throughout his career, making two main draw appearances at the French Open in 2018 and 2019, and had never previously played in a match that went five sets.
The result is also the second time in his career that Alexander Zverev has won a match from two sets down, doing so at last year’s US Open when he defeated Pablo Carreno Busta from the same deficit.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner