‘Against Novak Djokovic, you never feel on top’ declares Daniil Medvedev
The world number two believes that it is impossible to feel completely in control when facing Novak Djokovic on-court.
Daniil Medvedev is coming off a stellar week in Toronto having claimed his fourth career Masters 1000 title.
The top seed in Cincinnati will be looking to continue his strong hard court form, and could be serious threat to Djokovic come the US Open.
But the Russian is still wary of the 20-time Slam champion, admitting as much recently.
“Every time you play him you are under pressure, let’s call it like this,” Medvedev said in an ATP Tour interview.
“There are some matches where you go out on-court, you feel like you’re on top of the guy, and that there is almost no chance you’re gonna lose this match just because you feel that you are playing better.
“Against Novak [Djokovic], it’s never a possibility.”
The two men have faced each other eight times, with Djokovic leading the match-up five wins to three.
One of their most memorable encounters came in Cincinnati during the 2019 semi-finals, where Medvedev triumphed and went on to claim the title, his first at Masters 1000 level.
“You always feel under pressure [on] every point you play,” Medvedev added. “It was the same in Cincinnati [in 2019].”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner