‘A dream come true,’ for Carlos Alcaraz to play in Barcelona Open
Carlos Alcaraz is excited to hit the clay courts of the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona-1899, a lifelong aspiration of his.
Carlos Alcaraz is competing in the Barcelona main draw for the first time this year after receiving a wildcard entry to the event, and he is enthusiastic about the opportunity.
“For me it’s a dream come true,” the 17-year-old Spaniard said in an ATP Tennis TV interview. “I’ve [watched] the tournament since I was a kid. It was good two years ago to play in qualifying here.”
Alcaraz took part in the qualifying for Barcelona 2019 as a 15-year-old, losing to Pedro Sousa in the first round 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-1.
“It was a great experience and now I will enjoy it like a kid. It’s a dream come true.
“I came here to see the tournament [as a kid]. I played here in the Under-14s as well and I played Spanish tournaments in this club. I know a lot of people here, I have a lot of friends here, so for me playing here in Barcelona is amazing.”
Carlos Alcaraz faces American Frances Tiafoe in the first round. Read more about what it’s like for Alcaraz to play in Barcelona and in Spain generally.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner