‘The best players were all at Olympics’, insists Alexander Zverev
Olympic champion Alexander Zverev has defended the strength of the draw at the Tokyo Games, saying the best players “were all there”.
The 24-year-old identified world number three Rafael Nadal as “the only one who did not come” and pointed to the fact the Spaniard also missed Wimbledon.
Four other top 10 players – Dominic Thiem, Matteo Berrettini, Roger Federer and Denis Shapovalov – did not feature at the Games.
World number five Zverev defeated Karen Khachanov 6-3, 6-1 on Sunday to claim the gold medal in the men’s singles event in Tokyo.
He upset world number one and heavy favourite Novak Djokovic in a three-set semi-final – ending the Serbian’s 22-match winning streak.
“The best players have all come. The only one who did not come is the one who had not already come to Wimbledon – Rafa Nadal,” said the German in a press conference.
“Everyone else was there, everyone else played. It was one of the toughest tournaments of the season. Some players didn’t come, but a lot of players miss a lot of tournaments. The best were all there.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner