‘Wimbledon will have spectators’ says source close to All England Lawn Tennis Club
Fans are set to return in some capacity to SW19 in 2021 as Wimbledon makes plans in accordance with UK government guidelines.
After Wimbledon was cancelled last year due to the pandemic, the 2021 tournament is set to take place from 28th June to 11th July this summer.
The UK government is hoping to have all legal limits on social contact lifted on or after 21st June, a week before the start of Wimbledon. The likelihood is that outdoor sporting events will return to a gradual lifting of restrictions, perhaps similar to the previous Tier 1 guidelines of up to 4,000 spectators or 50% capacity, whichever is smaller.
As such, a source close to the AELTC has told Tennishead that Wimbledon is currently planning to have 25% of their normal number of spectators. In 2019, Wimbledon recorded an attendance of just over 500,000 over 13 days, 25% of which would be 125,000 fans.
With returning favourites like Roger Federer and Andy Murray targeting Wimbledon as a priority, a select number of fans may get the chance to see them live once again.
Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner