Wimbledon Draw Reaction: Women’s Singles
Wimbledon is almost upon us! Here’s a look at the highlights from the opening round of the women’s singles draw.
The women’s singles draw for this year’s Wimbledon has set up a number of exciting showdowns. Join us as Tennishead runs through the best of the first round matchups.
First Round Highlights
Unfortunately, defending champion Simona Halep has been forced to withdraw from the tournament due to injury.
In her place, Aryna Sabalenka takes the second seed, while Ashleigh Barty remains the top seed.
The Australian will face veteran pro Carla Suarez Navarro, the Spaniard making her final Wimbledon appearance as she is set to retire this year.
Serena Williams begins her quest for a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam title against Belarusian Aliaksandra Sasnovich, while Iga Swiatek faces Su-Wei Hsieh.
French Open champion and 14th seed Barbora Krejcikova will face Danish teenage up-and-comer Clara Tauson. The Czech will be looking to continue her current run of form and a singles win streak of 12 matches and counting.
Fifth seed Bianca Andreescu will be hoping to turn her fortunes around as she comes up against Alize Cornet, while third seed Elina Svitolina will look to get past Alison Van Uytvanck without too much trouble.
Eighth seed Karolina Pliskova faces French Open surprise package Tamara Zidansek in what could be a highly charged match, while two-time champion Petra Kvitova takes on Sloane Stephens.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner