Wimbledon Draw Reaction: Men’s Singles
With Wimbledon just around the corner, take a look at the highlights from the newly released men’s singles draw.
The men’s singles draw for Wimbledon 2021 has thrown up some mouth-watering encounters. Here, Tennishead looks at some of the picks of the first round.
First Round Highlights
To start, defending champion Novak Djokovic will face British teenage wildcard Jack Draper.
Draper made a surprise run to the boy’s singles final back in 2018, and recently pulled off upsets against Jannik Sinner and Alexander Bublik at Queen’s.
Roger Federer faces a potentially tricky opponent in Adrian Mannarino. The two have met six times before, twice at Wimbledon, with Federer winning on all six occasions.
But the Frenchman is particularly adept on grass, possessing his strongest win-loss record on the surface compared to others.
Thanks to a wildcard, Andy Murray returns in the Wimbledon singles for the first time since 2017, and will face a tough test against 24th seed Nikoloz Basilashvili. The two have, perhaps surprisingly, never met before on-court.
Daniil Medvedev will face perhaps the most difficult opening round among the top seeds. The Russian second seed will take on world No. 45 Jan-Lennard Struff.
Medvedev does hold a 3-1 edge in the head-to-head, but Struff recently beat the Russian, on grass no less, in the first round of Halle.
Two more young guns in Alex de Minaur and Sebastian Korda will face off for the first time in their careers in what looks to be an exciting battle.
Three more matchups round off our highlights. Third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas will face the always entertaining Frances Tiafoe, while Lorenzo Musetti makes his Wimbledon main draw debut against Miami Masters champion Hubert Hurkacz.
Last but certainly not least, Nick Kyrgios makes his return to the tour against Ugo Humbert. The Frenchman is in the form of his life, coming into Wimbledon off the back of his first grass title in Halle, where he defeated two top-10 players in Alexander Zverev and Andrey Rublev to lift the title in Germany.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner