Wimbledon champion Ashleigh Barty reaches another WTA final
Ashleigh Barty is into another WTA final after battling past German Angelique Kerber in straight sets to reach the Western & Southern Open final.
Barty beat the world number 22 6-2, 7-5 in one hour and 14 minutes, firing 29 winners and 12 aces.
The 2021 Wimbledon champion is playing her first event since a shock first round defeat at Tokyo Olympics.
”I think I did a pretty good job on my service game so I was able to serve well and get some cheap points off my first serve and Angie (Kerber) is one hell of a returner and one of the best in the game, so I wanted to try and take that away from her as best as I could today.” Barty said.
“I think being able to stay in the second set and grapple the momentum back to get back to 3-3 was a big point and overall it was a pretty good match.” she added.
The Aussie will face Swiss Jill Teichmann in the final who knocked out Naomi Osaka earlier this week, before easing past fifth seed Karolina Pliskova 6-2, 6-4 in the other semi-final. Teichmann is excited to test herself against the world number one.
“For me it’s perfect and it’s a nice challenge and playing on centre court against the world number one in a final and I will go for it.” she said.
This will be the first meeting between the two players.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner