‘When I first picked up a racket, Roger Federer was winning everything,’ says Daniil Medvedev
Daniil Medvedev says he can remember ‘Roger Federer winning everything’ when he was first picking up a racket in Russia.
Medvedev has become one of the heir-apparents to the big three’s thrones, rising to number four in the world and reaching the US Open final last year.
The reality for any of the younger players, however, is they are going to have to go through the established stars they grew up watching if they want to emulate them.
Medvedev, though, while acknowledging the influence of the big three, says he relishes the challenges of displacing them.
“I like playing all of the three,” Medvedev said.
“When I was so young starting to hold the racket, watching tennis when I was four or five years old, first it was Roger winning everything.
“Then Rafa came and then it was Novak. It’s a great pleasure to play against all of them.”
Medvedev has already beaten Djokovic at the ATP Finals this week, and he will face Rafael Nadal in the semis.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner