‘We play for the public’ – ATP stars strongly against locking out spectators due to coronavirus outbreak
Tennis stars on the ATP Tour are united in a desire to avoid playing matches behind closed doors due to the coronavirus crisis, says Fabio Fognini.
Wimbledon became the latest, and highest profile, tournament to be cancelled as the world wrestles to contain the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
The US Open and rescheduled French Open, both due to take place in September are both currently planning on going ahead, but no one knows yet whether or not that will be possible.
At some point, the ATP may have to start considering alternative options, one of which is to continue the Tour but not allow any spectators into the Stadiums.
Fognini, though, does not believe there is any appetite for that among the players.
“I heard from so many people when the ATP had to decide what to do.
“Feliciano Lopez, who is also the director of the Madrid tournament, Stan Wawrinka, Grigor Dimitrov – we were all on the same wavelength, nobody wanted to play.
“Not even behind closed doors. Because sponsors matter a lot but we play for the public and it is the spectators who hold the tournaments.
“With empty stands, I played the Davis Cup in Cagliari and it was very sad.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner