WATCH: Medvedev madness down match point to Tsitsipas
Daniil Medvedev brought his match with Stefanos Tsitsipas to a bizarre end with his final shot being one to remember.
The world No. 2 lost in straight sets to the in-form Greek, 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 7-5, in just under two and a half hours on-court.
“I think [I’ve had] a great tournament,” Medvedev admitted in his press conference following the match. “[I put up a] great fight today, was fighting until the last point.
“Even if we talk about the last point that was tactically what I wanted to do, this serve, it was not that I wanted to leave the court or anything.”
Serving at match point down, Medvedev opted for an underarm serve in an attempt to catch Tsitsipas off guard, following it up with a rush to the net before Tsitsipas put the ball away to seal the match.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 8, 2021
“I feel like I got really unlucky in some important points but that’s tennis, especially on clay. For me it’s tougher to get the break points done and stuff like this, and I thought that he was a bit better on clay today.
“Tennis is sometimes just about a few points, so it’s a big pity that I didn’t manage to close it out on 6-5. I hit a drop shot that he didn’t even run to [but] it missed by some inches.
“I feel like that was the match. I was fighting, I was adjusting. My tactics after the first set where he was definitely much better than me. He was up a break, I tried to fight back.”
But in the end, the Greek was too good for Medvedev, and will face Alexander Zverev for a place in the Roland Garros final.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner