WATCH: ‘Magnificent’ Gael Monfils magic in Toronto
Gael Monfils battled back from a set down to advance at the Canadian Masters and book a spot in the last 16.
The French showman came up against John Millman in the second round in what was surprisingly a first ATP meeting for the 34 and 32-year-old.
The Australian claimed the first set 6-3 before Monfils roared back into the match, ignited by this brilliant display of athleticism and speed.
C’est magnifique 🙌
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) August 12, 2021
“It was a great battle,” Monfils said in his post-match interview after claiming the second and third sets 6-3, 6-4. “You know, John (Millman) is a good friend of mine and it was a great battle.
“I was a bit lucky at the end because I think he got injured, hurt himself.
“I just drained energy from the crowd and I’m. very happy and very excited about this win.”
Monfils has had a tough 2021 season so far, claiming just a 3-10 win-loss record on tour before Toronto, but will be looking to turn his fortunes around on the North American swing.
“I tried to go for my shots, go for the big serve,” Monfils added. “But it’s a little boost for the confidence, I think I will be able to raise my game.”
The 11th seed will take on American Frances Tiafoe next for a place in the quarter-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner