WATCH: Kyrgios asks fan where to serve on match point in Wimbledon win
Australian star Nick Kyrgios marched into round three at Wimbledon with a straight-sets victory against Italian Gianluca Mager, though once again it wasn’t without drama.
The maverick received a code violation for swearing, complained that Mager was ‘getting lucky’ as return after return clipped the line, and moaned that the surface was like ‘playing at Roland Garros’.
The 26-year-old also sought coaching tips from a vocal female spectator, asking ‘was that OK?’ after he’d hit a winner, and responding to a foot-fault with a anger-fuelled second-serve ace.
On match point, Kyrgios went over to his new-found coach in the crowd to ask where he should serve.
Nick Kyrgios asking a fan where he should serve on match point. Just delightful. 🍓 pic.twitter.com/nB4JNkduVI
— ⭐ amy o'connor ⭐ (@amyohconnor) July 1, 2021
“I have people in the front row literally coaching me, like literally telling me ‘that’s all right, good ball, great return, it will work next time, good depth’, said the Australian.
“I’m like, Dude, what is going on out here? It’s good.”
Having taken the advice from his impromptu coach on board, Kyrgios served out wide before another unforced error from the Italian sealed Kyrgios’ place in the third round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner