WATCH: Federer shows signature class but cannot hold off youngster
Roger Federer failed to reach the quarter-finals in Halle for the first time in his career, falling to a player exactly 19 years his junior.
The Swiss 39-year-old fell to 20-year-old Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-4, 3-6, 2-6 as the two men, both born on 8th August 19 years apart, did battle in Germany.
The match was Federer’s first against a player born in the 2000s. In fact, Federer turned pro in 1998, a full two years before the young Canadian was even born.
Auger-Aliassime missed plenty of chances in the opening set, as he failed to convert any of his four break point chances.
By comparison, Federer needed just a single chance to go up a break and take the first 6-4.
The 10-time Halle champion made sure to roll back the years with some elegant play, including this down the line backhand winner.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) June 16, 2021
However, FAA turned it around in the second by surrendering zero break chances, converting one of the five he had himself, going on to secure the set 6-3.
The 20-year-old then raced into a double-break advantage in the third to go up 4-0 before eventually seeing out the match 6-2 in the third.
Felix Auger-Aliassime will face either Jan-Lennard Struff or Marcos Giron for a place in the semi-finals.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner