WATCH: Djokovic pummels aces past Brit in opening Wimbledon victory
Novak Djokovic laid out his title credentials in an exemplary performance in the first match on Centre Court at the Championships this year.
The defending Wimbledon champion suffered a slight setback in his first round match, losing the first set to British 19-year-old wildcard Jack Draper.
However, the world No. 1 quickly rectified the situation, claiming the next three sets to come through in four sets and just over two hours on-court.
After finding his feet, Djokovic was on imperious form, including winning a game in under a minute with four straight aces.
LOL. Now Djokovic won a game in 44 (!) seconds. This time it was all aces. pic.twitter.com/rr8ij6afpI
— Cork Gaines (@CorkGaines) June 28, 2021
In fact, Djokovic went on to serve 25 aces in the whole match, double faulting just once and winning 87% of points behind his first serve.
His teenage opponent was making his Wimbledon main draw debut after an impressive display at Queen’s where he beat top-40 players Jannik Sinner and Alexander Bublik.
The Serb surrendered just five games after dropping the opening set, racing into the second round of the 2021 Championships.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner